Cleaning the kitchen washbasin drain should be on the to-do list every alternate day, as the kitchen is the place which should be neat and smell fresh 24/7. However, you usually don’t pay attention to that which results in sink blockage and a continuous unpleasant odour. Food scraps, soap scum, and grease buildups can cause clogs, bad odours, and the spread of bacteria. That doesn’t sound promising!
If you have a sink with a garbage disposal! We have some suggestions just for you.
Using hot water and dish soap, clean a sink drain
Your kitchen sink is constantly clogged with food scraps, grease, and oil. As a result, the best way to avoid clogs is to keep your drain free of such build-ups. So, here’s how to easily clean a kitchen washbasin drain:
10 minutes are required for the total process.
- Bring several cups of water to a boil. The simplest method is to simply boil some water. To avoid piping damage, keep in mind that the water should be below the boiling temperature for PVC and plastic pipes.
- Dish soap should be added to the hot water.
- Pour your hot soapy water down the drain with care.
- Allow the water to sit for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, pour some cold tap water down the drain to loosen any remaining build-ups.
- Bring some more water to a boil and pour it down the drain to remove any remaining residue.
Pour a cup of salt down your drain before flushing it with hot water for added cleaning power. This will also help to eliminate unpleasant drain odours.
Another way to unblock the clogged sink
No one wants their kitchen to smell like garbage or old food. That’s why it’s important to clean and deodorize your sink drains regularly. Thankfully, it’s not a difficult task at all.
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Add 2 cups of white vinegar after the baking soda. The mixture should start to bubble.
- Leave the solution on and let it work for 15 minutes.
- Boil water in a kettle and pour it down the drain.
All unpleasant odours have disappeared from the kitchen sink.
Maintenance of clean sink
- Maintaining your kitchen sink regularly is the best way to keep it clean and smelling fresh, so include it on your kitchen cleaning checklist. At least once a week, flush it with hot water.
- To prevent clogging, avoid putting fat, oil, grease, and any food leftovers down the drain. If your dishes and cookware are greasy, use paper towels to wipe them down before washing them in the sink.
- To avoid soap scum buildup in your kitchen sink, avoid using traditional soap.
Need assistance cleaning your kitchen washbasin drain?
If you don’t have time or simply don’t want to deal with cleaning your kitchen sink, why not hire a professional to do it for you? London Emergency Plumbing’s dependable and experienced cleaners will leave your kitchen spotless and smelling better than ever. Not only that, but they can also clean any other areas of your home that require it!
Booking is simple! Simply fill out our online form and choose a time and date that works for you. Spend your time where it matters and leave the rest to us.